Photographer hurt by stun grenade thrown by police

first_imgNews Help by sharing this information RSF_en News News News “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says Follow the news on France FranceEurope – Central Asia RSF denounces Total’s retaliation against Le Monde for Myanmar story June 4, 2021 Find out morecenter_img Receive email alerts Use the Digital Services Act to make democracy prevail over platform interests, RSF tells EU to go further FranceEurope – Central Asia Reporters Without Borders today condemned the police use of a stun grenade against Georges Bartoli, a freelance photographer working for the news agency Reuters, while he was covering a protest against genetically-modified crops on 25 September in Valdivienne. Bartoli sustained minor injuries to the legs when the grenade detonated and he had to be hospitalised.”We call on you to carry out an investigation to establish the circumstance that led the police to throw a grenade at this photographer,” the organisation said in a letter to Vienne prefect Bernard Prévost.”The fact that he was clearly identifiable as a photographer – wearing a press armlet and with two cameras hanging from his neck – and the fact that he was keeping his distance from the protesters suggest that he was deliberately targeted, in which case exemplary punishments are called for,” Reporters Without Borders added.Some 15 people were injured at Valdivienne when police clashed with demonstrators who had come to cut down a field of genetically-modified maize. Bartoli said he was on his own, at some distance from the demonstrators and just a few metres from the police, and clearly identifiable as a journalist, when the stun grenade was thrown in his direction.Alain Darrigrand, a reporter with France 2, and Christophe Garnier of LCI and TF1 also said they were deliberately targeted by the police. In a joint statement, they said they were filming the demonstration from a place where they were on their own and easily identifiable by their cameras when the police threw tear gas and a stun grenade from a distance of one metre.They said: “This action targeted us as journalists and was designed to prevent us filming at the height of the demonstration. It succeeded, because we unable to carry on doing our work as reporters for several minutes after this attack.” September 27, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Photographer hurt by stun grenade thrown by police June 2, 2021 Find out more Organisation May 10, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more