Kohli sets Asian record, Pant equals world record as India win in Adelaide

first_imgVirat Kohli had to wait for seven long years to be part of a winning Test team in Australia. However, when he did so on Monday, he became the first-ever Indian captain to help the visitors take a 1-0 lead on an Australian tour.Kohli’s India had shown a lot of promise on their overseas tours to South Africa and England earlier this year but the Asian giants were not able to convert it into results as they returned home empty-handed.However, smelling blood in the absence of Steve Smith and David Warner, India made a solid start to the much-anticipated four-Test series in Australia, going 1-0 up at the Adelaide Oval.Kohli’s men clinched a 31-run win after Cheteshwar Pujara, R Ashwin and the pacers stood up even as their skipper had a rare failure with the bat.The historic win – India’s first Down Under since Anil Kumble-led team’s victory at Perth in 2007-08 – also meant Kohli became the first Asian captain to win Tests in South Africa, England and Australia.The top-ranked Test side have also become the first team from Asia to win Tests in South Africa, England, and Australia in the same calendar year.Pant joins an elite list of wicketkeepersNot just captain Kohli, Rishabh Pant also had a record-setting day as he equalled the world record of Jack Russell and AB de Villiers for the most number of catches in Test by a wicketkeeper.With 11 catches in the ongoing Adelaide Test, Pant, who was very chirpy behind the wickets, went past Wriddhiman Saha’s Indian record of 10 catches in a match. The 21-year-old had an opportunity to break the world record during the second session of the final day’s play but he dropped a catch that gave tail-ender Nathan Lyon a reprieve.advertisementThe historic victory was set up by Pujara, whose first innings 123 provided India with a score strong enough to fight after a poor batting performance by the top order. The bowlers then struck at regular intervals to hand India a slender 15-run lead.R Ashwin spun a web around Australia’s batsmen while Jasprit Bumrah rattled the hosts with his pace. Ishant Sharma and Mohammed Shami chipped in with key wickets to ensure India stayed in the game.India batted much better in the second innings. Pujara had conceded his top order should have done better on the first day and they listened to his call – KL Rahul scored a fluent 44, Kohli was patient for his 34 while Ajinkya Rahane scored 70 and shared a key 87-run stand with Pujara, who made 71 to go with his 123.Though the lower order imploded, India still managed to set Australia a 323-run target. On the fourth day, Mohammed Shami and Ashwin picked two wickets apiece to leave Australia in a tough spot.Aaron Finch, Marcus Harris, Usman Khawaja, and Peter Handscomb were dismissed before stumps on the penultimate day.Australia would have hoped for a bit of fight from their overnight batsmen Shaun Marsh and Travis Head but that was not to be. Captain Tim Paine looked resolute but once he was dismissed for 41, the writing was on the wall – it was now only a matter of time before India wrapped up a famous victory.Also Read | Ponting slams umpires for not calling no-balls: Don’t think they are looking anymoreAlso Read | Cheteshwar Pujara the difference between India and Australia in Adelaide: Allan BorderAlso Read | Anil Kumble was the best leader that I played under: Gautam Gambhir to India TodayAlso See:last_img read more

Colten Boushies mother says racism is on full display in Saskatchewan

first_imgREGINA – The mother of a young Indigenous man who was shot and killed on a Saskatchewan farm says racism is on full display in the province every day.Debbie Baptiste said she sees racism everywhere — in private business, in the courts and in the government, where Indigenous children are being taken into foster care.“It’s like the KKK (Ku Klux Klan) is no longer wearing their mask. They’re out and about,” Baptiste said Tuesday.Baptiste’s son Colten Boushie was killed after being shot in the head on a farm near the community of Biggar in August 2016.The landowner, Gerald Stanley, was acquitted of second-degree murder after testifying that his gun went off accidentally.Stanley said he was trying to scare some Indigenous young people that he thought were stealing from him.Baptiste is in Regina to show her support for the Justice for Our Stolen Children camp that’s set up outside the Saskatchewan legislature.She said she is at the camp for her son, but also because she had two grandchildren taken by Child and Family Services.“It’s very peaceful and I’m pretty sure my son would want me here,” she said.The camp was set up on Feb. 28 — shortly after the Boushie and Tina Fontaine cases both resulted in acquittals.Fontaine was 15-years-old when she disappeared in Winnipeg in 2014.Her body was pulled from the Red River eight days later wrapped in a duvet cover and weighed down by rocks. A jury found Raymond Cormier not guilty in February of second-degree murder.Baptiste said that the camp has frequently received racist taunts since she’s been there, including from a group of people playing frisbee nearby. Vehicles also drive by to tell the campers to “get off our land.”Boushie’s mother is also watching the trial of white homeowner Peter Khill, who is accused of shooting Indigenous man Jon Styres in front of Khill’s rural home outside Hamilton, Ont., in February 2016.The Khill case has some similarities to that of Boushie’s.“I hope, pray, they get the justice that they’re asking for,” Baptiste said.Camp supporter Prescott Demas said that more than 1,300 people have stopped by the camp since it started.“It’s nice to have her (Baptiste) here especially since everything started was from the Gerald Stanley verdict,” Demas said.Demas, 47, said that campers want a meeting with the government, although he doesn’t believe it will happen. The camp has received two eviction notices.“I don’t know what my expectations are because I know that this government isn’t interested in listening,” Demas said. “Any expectations of them actually coming out are kind of really high hopes.”Ministry of Justice spokeswoman Jennifer Graham said the government has tried to arrange two meetings with the campers but the locations were rejected.“The group has been advised that their ongoing encampment in the park is not permitted and they must vacate,” she said an email. “Therefore, government officials will not be meeting with the group at the encampment.”— Follow @RyanBMcKenna on Twitterlast_img read more