More than 100,000 displaced Nigerians living in camps in northeast Nigeria are set to return home soon, but fear for their safety and ability to rebuild their lives, Reuters reports.The Nigerian government plans to shut down camps housing 150,000 displaced people in Borno and Adamawa states as security improves in the north, according to the United Nations (UN) Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).The Nigerian army has this year recaptured much territories seized by Islamist extremists Boko Haram in its six year campaign to carve out an Islamic state in the northeast. In retaliation, the militants have hit back with a surge of fatal raids and suicide bombings.Most people living in the camps reportedly want to return home but fear the threat of attacks, and lack confidence in the military’s ability to protect them.Some of the displaced people who have already gone back home have reportedly found their houses and land destroyed or occupied by others.The humanitarian response has so far focused on providing short-term aid, but greater assistance must soon follow to help the displaced move home and rebuild their lives, OCHA said.The humanitarian community will only support reintegration efforts, including providing cash payments and household supplies, if going home is voluntary and conditions are good enough, said Stéphanie Daviot of the International Organisation for Migration (IOM).Boko Haram’s insurgency has killed thousands of people and displaced 2.2 million – more than 90 percent of whom are living with host families in local communities rather than in camps.
Jerk, griot, rice and peas, culantro, scotch bonnet peppers and so on, are not elements you typically think about when you think of Caribbean history. But when you’re the producer of the “Taste the Islands” TV series and associated events, that’s exactly what comes to mind. Exhibit at Grace Jerk Festival Following their successful execution of the “Caribbean Culinary Museum and Theater” at the “2018 Taste the Islands Experience” (TTIX), the event’s producers are bringing the exhibit to the 2018 “Grace Jamaican Jerk Festival” in Sunrise, Florida on Sunday, November 11. Thousands of patrons will have the opportunity to learn about the history of the spices, staples, drinks, and general flavors of the region, and they can see artifacts from decades past used in food storage, preparation, and service.Funding for this project is provided in part by the Broward County Board of County Commissioners as recommended by the Broward Cultural Council, as well as the following Funds from the Community Foundation of Broward: Fonda and H. Wayne Huizenga, Jr. Family Trust Fund, Gary J. Scotto Fund and Mary and Alex Mackenzie Community Impact Fund.Along with a collection of food and drink related artifacts from the region, the exhibit includes a number of graphically designed panels showing historical information on various Caribbean flavors, their origins, and manifestations. It was conceived and created collaboratively by Calibe Thompson, one of the producers of TTIX, and Marsha McDonald, producer of the “Diversity in Arts” design discussion series. Caribbean Culinary Museum and TheaterThe “Caribbean Culinary Museum and Theater” will be installed in a month-long exhibit from February 18 through March 16, 2019 at the Lauderhill Museum, supported in part by Commissioner Howard Berger. Curious visitors can see it after that at the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society as part of TTIX 2019. The expanded culinary event will include activities from Friday, April 26 to Sunday, April 28 in multiple locations across downtown Fort Lauderdale. Find out more at www.ttiexperience.com.Island Syndicate is a media, arts and entertainment agency that creates exceptional content and unforgettable experiences inspired by the Caribbean, and offers creative services in video, photography, graphic design and branding. Their properties include Island Origins Magazine and the Taste the Islands Experience.
Liverpool have stumbled in recent weeks, knocked out of the Champions League by Atletico Madrid and dumped out of the FA Cup by Chelsea.But they have been peerless in the Premier League, leaving their rivals in their wake to race 25 points clear of defending champions Manchester City.With Alisson Becker in goal, Virgil van Dijk marshalling the defence and their devastating front three of Roberto Firmino, Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane, Klopp’s men have been irresistible.Paul Hayward, writing in the Daily Telegraph, said Liverpool should be crowned champions for the 19th time even if no more games are played.“If a season ends too soon, its natural winning line is the point it reached before the halt was called: emphatically so, 29 games into a 38-match campaign, which is a respectable distance,” he wrote.“‘Voiding’ the 2019/20 football season would be nonsense,” he added. “Handing over the trophy at any point where clubs were forced to give up would feel morally correct.”Brighton and Hove Albion chief executive Paul Barber said if the season were to be “frozen” it would be unjust on Liverpool.“Everybody in the game appreciates what a fantastic season they’ve had and what a wonderful team they are,” he told the BBC.“But equally it would be unjust for teams to be relegated when there are still eight, nine, ten games to play of the Premier League.”But West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady said if the fixtures could not be completed, the only fair solution would be to declare the season “null and void”.Writing in the Sun, Brady, whose club are just two places above the relegation zone, said: “Who knows who would have gone down or come up if the games have not actually been played in full?“A huge blow to Liverpool, who might be robbed of their first title in 30 years.”Nobody knows when football will return but, when it finally does, many in the game hope Liverpool are given the chance to complete their long journey back to the top.Share on: WhatsApp London, United Kingdom | AFP | Liverpool could have been crowned Premier League champions on Monday for the first time in a generation at the home of local rivals Everton. Instead, the stadium will be silent.Jurgen Klopp’s team would have needed Manchester City to lose to Burnley on Saturday to have given them a chance to seal the deal at Goodison Park.Regardless of whether it would have happened on Monday or over the coming weeks, Liverpool’s first top-flight title for 30 years was a mere formality.But now fans are wondering when, or even if, they will be crowned champions after the coronavirus laid waste to the global sporting calendar.The message coming from Liverpool is that there are more important issues than football to talk about, even with the club tantalisingly close to glory.“I’ve said before that football always seems the most important of the least important things,” Klopp said in a statement on Friday.“Today, football and football matches really aren’t important at all.“If it’s a choice between football and the good of the wider society, it’s no contest. Really, it isn’t.”Klopp’s stance won him the support of World Health Organisation chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who thanked him for his “powerful message”.Liverpool supporters, desperate to reclaim their position at the pinnacle of the English game, agree with their German manager, saying the pandemic overshadows football.Supporters’ union Spirit of Shankly is focusing on the damaging fallout from the COVID-19 virus.“In talks with @lfc we asked for assurances that non-playing staff will not lose their pay as a consequence of shifts being cancelled,” it said in a statement.“We also need to keep in mind those most vulnerable. Cancelling football games means (foodbanks) will be hit hard.”– Deserving winners –